By Barbara K. Gold
- Contributors characterize various validated names and more youthful students, all of whom are revered specialists of their fields
- Contains unique, by no means sooner than released essays, that are either obtainable to a large viewers and supply a brand new method of the affection elegists and their work
- Includes 33 essays at the Roman elegists Catullus, Tibullus, Propertius, Sulpicia, and Ovid, in addition to their Greek and Roman predecessors and later writers who have been motivated through their work
- Recent years have noticeable an explosion of curiosity in Roman elegy from students who've used quite a few severe methods to open up new avenues of understanding
Read or Download A Companion to Roman Love Elegy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
A research of medieval attitudes in the direction of the ventriloquism of God's and Christ's voices via human media, which unearths a development from an orthodox view of divine vocal energy to an nervousness over the authority of the priest's voice to a subversive tackle the divine voice that foreshadows Protestant devotion.
Während des Mittelalters ist die päpstliche Kurie innerhalb Europas die wichtigste Adresse der gelehrten lateinischen Dichtung. Vielfach unaufgefordert, wenden sich die Autoren mit ihren Werken an den apostolischen Stuhl, sie widmen einzelnen Päpsten ihre Schriften und verherrlichen sie in Lobgedichten.
The allegories of the virtues and vices have been a standard educating device within the heart a long time for either non secular and lay audiences to profit the fundamental tenets of the Christian religion. The Mirroure of the Worlde makes to be had for the 1st time the original textual content within the fifteenth-century British manuscript, MS.
Spatial pondering performs a major position in medieval literature and tradition. this isn't merely verified by way of the big global maps and theological types of the cosmos in medieval instances, but additionally through the spatial constitution and motifs of the narrative literature. The articles during this quantity discover how areas are defined in narratives from the ninth to the sixteenth century?
- The Silent Masters: Latin Literature and Its Censors in the High Middle Ages (Modern Greek Studies)
- Historische und religiöse Erzählungen: Band 4 (German Edition)
- Lemmata: Beiträge zum Gedenken an Christos Theodoridis (German Edition)
- The Gods Rich in Praise: Early Greek and Mesopotamian Religious Poetry (Oxford Classical Monographs)
- Hans Folz and Print Culture in Late Medieval Germany: The Creation of Popular Discourse
- Schreibende Frauen um 1500 (Scrinium Friburgense) (German Edition)
Extra info for A Companion to Roman Love Elegy (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)