By Rory McTurk
- Comprises 29 chapters written through prime students within the field
- Reflects present debates between previous Norse-Icelandic scholars
- Pays recognition to formerly missed parts of analysis, similar to the sagas of Icelandic bishops and the fable sagas
- Looks on the methods outdated Norse-Icelandic literature is utilized by glossy writers, artists and movie administrators, either inside and out of doors Scandinavia
- Sets previous Norse-Icelandic language and literature in its wider cultural context
Read or Download A Companion to Old Norse-Icelandic Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary medieval criticism books
A learn of medieval attitudes in the direction of the ventriloquism of God's and Christ's voices via human media, which finds a development from an orthodox view of divine vocal strength to an anxiousness over the authority of the priest's voice to a subversive tackle the divine voice that foreshadows Protestant devotion.
Während des Mittelalters ist die päpstliche Kurie innerhalb Europas die wichtigste Adresse der gelehrten lateinischen Dichtung. Vielfach unaufgefordert, wenden sich die Autoren mit ihren Werken an den apostolischen Stuhl, sie widmen einzelnen Päpsten ihre Schriften und verherrlichen sie in Lobgedichten.
The allegories of the virtues and vices have been a typical educating device within the center a long time for either spiritual and lay audiences to profit the fundamental tenets of the Christian religion. The Mirroure of the Worlde makes to be had for the 1st time the original textual content within the fifteenth-century British manuscript, MS.
Spatial pondering performs a major position in medieval literature and tradition. this isn't simply proven by means of the massive international maps and theological types of the cosmos in medieval instances, but additionally through the spatial constitution and motifs of the narrative literature. The articles during this quantity discover how areas are defined in narratives from the ninth to the sixteenth century?
- Cretan Women: Pasiphae, Ariadne, and Phaedra in Latin Poetry (Oxford Classical Monographs)
- The Bible and Hellenism: Greek Influence on Jewish and Early Christian Literature (Copenhagen International Seminar)
- Medieval Arthurian Literature: A Guide to Recent Research: Volume 7 (Routledge Library Editions: Arthurian Literature)
- The Art and Rhetoric of the Homeric Catalogue
- Constructing Gender in Medieval Ireland (The New Middle Ages)
- Scyld and Scef: Expanding the Analogues
Additional resources for A Companion to Old Norse-Icelandic Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)