By David E. Chinitz,Gail McDonald
Offering a accomplished and up to date survey of the sector, A spouse to Modernist Poetry presents readers with certain discussions of person poets, ‘schools’ and ‘movements’ inside modernist poetry, and the cultural and old context of the modernist period.
- Provides an in-depth and available precis of the most recent tendencies within the examine of modernist poetry
- Balances dialogue of person poets, ‘schools’, and ‘movements’ with in-depth literary and historic context
- Brings fresh scholarship to undergo almost about modernist poetry whereas additionally supplying advice on poets who're traditionally important
- Edited by means of hugely revered and outstanding critics within the box who've a wide wisdom of present debates and of emerging and senior students within the field
Read Online or Download A Companion to Modernist Poetry (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar british & irish contemporary literature books
Edmund Spenser, chosen Letters and different Papers presents the 1st released textual content of the diplomatic and private papers written, copied, and dealt with through Spenser in the course of his years of secretarial provider and colonial planting in eire, 1580-1589. those manuscript letters and papers signify a wealthy source for the learn of Spenser's poetry and prose - really his allegorical epic The Faerie Queene (1590, 1596) and his learn of Irishculture and govt, A view of the current country of eire (1596) - giving remarkable perception into the daily management of the hot English govt in eire, in either Dublin and Munster, in the course of a time of continuous struggle, international relations, social engineering, espionage, and plantation.
This version presents the 1st entire, glossy model of John Norden's The Surveyor's discussion. Norden's textual content, a chain of dialogues among a fictional surveyor and a number of other interlocutors—including a tenant farmer, an aristocrat landowner, a manorial officer, and a socially cellular land buyer—is amazing for its distinctive statement at the agrarian roots of English capitalism.
Operating from a cultural experiences point of view, writer D. ok. Smith the following examines a large diversity of medieval and Renaissance maps and literary texts to discover the results of geography on Tudor-Stuart cultural perceptions. He argues that the literary illustration of cartographically-related fabric from the overdue 15th to the early 17th century demonstrates a brand new pressure, not only of geographical knowing, yet of cartographic manipulation, which he phrases, "the cartographic mind's eye.
This quantity examines the lodge event of Anglo-American tourists within the 19th century from the perspective of literary and cultural stories in addition to spatiality thought. concentrating on the social and imaginary house of the inn in fiction, periodicals, diaries, and trip bills, the essays shed new gentle on nineteenth-century notions of shuttle writing.
- Colonial Girlhood in Literature, Culture and History, 1840-1950 (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
- National Identity in Great Britain and British North America, 1815–1851: The Role of Nineteenth-Century Periodicals
- Placing the Plays of Christopher Marlowe: Fresh Cultural Contexts: 0
- Women’s Writing, Englishness and National and Cultural Identity: The Mobile Woman and the Migrant Voice, 1938-62
- Religious Feeling and Religious Commitment in Faulkner, Dostoyevsky, Werfel and Bernanos: Volume 27 (Routledge Library Editions: The Nineteenth-Century Novel)
Extra info for A Companion to Modernist Poetry (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)